There are a few steps required in order to set up your Gmail account in Mac Mail. Follow the steps below and you'll have your Gmail account set up in no time.
1) Open Mac Mail and select 'Add Account' from the 'Mail' dropdown menu.
2) Select 'Other Mail Account' from the list of account types.
3) Enter your name, email address, and password in the appropriate fields. Make sure 'POP' is selected for the Account Type.
4) Enter 'pop.gmail.com' as the incoming mail server and 'smtp.gmail.com' as the outgoing mail server.
5) Select 'Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)' for both the incoming and outgoing mail servers.
6) Enter your Gmail username and password again in the appropriate fields. Your username is the full email address (including '@gmail.com').
7) Click 'Create' and you're all set!