The Institute of Food Science & Technology (IFST) is the leading professional body for food science and technology. Members work in manufacturing, academia, government and laboratories providing essential support to the food chain.
The term ‘food science and technology’ covers a wide range of activities:
• Ensuring food safety and quality
• Developing new foods and improving existing ones
• finding new ways of using food resources
• Managing and improving the efficiency of food production
• Protecting the environment by reducing food waste
Food science and technology is a highly interdisciplinary field, drawing on knowledge and methods from many other disciplines including biology, chemistry, physics, engineering and mathematics.
In practical terms, food science and technology may involve:
• Identifying the composition and structure of food and its components
• Developing new ways of processing and preserving foods
• Improving existing methods of food production
• Investigating the relationships between food and health
• Assessing the environmental impact of food production
The work of food scientists and technologists leads to the development of new foods and the improvement of existing foods. It also helps to ensure that the food we eat is safe and of the highest quality.